Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Job Hunt



I think I would rather have my teeth pulled that look for and apply for jobs. For the past three weeks I have been on the hunt for a job. On Tuesday I applied for a job that I saw on Craigslist. It was an admin assistant job. It said the pay was $20-25 and hour and it was close to our house. I sent my resume and they called on on Wednesday. We set up an interview for today. I was excited and hopeful to come home and be employed. When I got there I found out it was a staffing agency. I also learned the pay on Craigslit was a typo. It was suppose to be $12-14 an hour. I still thought it was worth a shot. I had to fill out an application and take four different computer tests. Two hours later I was having an interview with a hiring manager. She looked over my resume and told me she really didn't think I was qualified for the position. I guess a college education doesn't qualify you for answering phones and making travel plans for employees. She did however offer me a job doing data entry for $8.50 an hour! I politely told her I was worth a little more than $8.50 an hour and left. Seriously, I'm still upset about it. I have applied for two other jobs that I haven't heard back from. If you know of anyone in Spokane that is looking for a great employee let me know.

P.S.
When applying for a job and they ask your to upload a resume, why do they then ask you to enter in all that information in the work history section? IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

It is so good to hear from you. I am glad you found me. You can find just about anyone these days on their blogs. Congrats on the marriage that is so exciting. Marriage is wonderful! Enjoy it!

meggan said...

It's a little bit of a commute from Spokane, but I worked at Wild Waters in Coeur d'Alene and had a great summer doing so. Check it out, it's worth a shot....

Dave& Jaime Adams said...

I absolutely hate looking for jobs as well. I had a chiroprator offer me a job this summer and he was going to pay me $8.00 an hour, which is what I started at 6 years ago when I first finished medical assisting school. I also had to politely say I was worth more than that. Yeah Dave is still planning for dental school however he still has a little over a year before we would be leaving. But he really wants to apply to the school in spokane. Its just whether or not he gets accepted there.

elise said...

I don't know of any jobs in Spokane, but I went through the same thing when I was starting to look for a job. I cam home crying because like you, I had a college degree but couldn't get hired making more than $12 an hour.

Stick it out though, I ended up finding something good & I am sure you will too!

Heather said...

I'm so sorry Megan. I hated looking for Jobs when I got back to Madison this summer too. I ended up finding a great job at the hospital where I work now. You may want to look into hospital work? I do scheduling and make a good hourly rate. They have super nice benefits! Just a thought!

Allie and Spencer said...

Hey Megan! You look so cute and happy! It's fun looking over your blog- I hope you find a job so the torture can be over. Love Allie

Poelmans said...

That doesn't sound like fun at all! Be picky (not too picky) and you'll find something great!